Re: tramp (2.1.16-pre); Wicked slowdown

From: David Abrahams
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.16-pre); Wicked slowdown
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 08:36:16 -0400

On Apr 21, 2009, at 7:59 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:

David Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:

Anyway, here's the same thing with tramp-verbose = 10 and zipped in
one file; hopefully that should be accepted.  I find this one even
more interesting to ediff.

What I have seen from the traces is that the Tramp versions on linux and
mac differ. The version on mac is the more recent one.

Yeah, I noticed that last night.

Recently, I have changed something with respect to prompt recognition
and cache handling; maybe the slowdown is because of this. Could you,
please, install recent Tramp from CVS on both machines, and check
whether it happens on linux as well?

I did; it does not.

And maybe you remember the timestamp of tramp.el as installed on linux
just now, that we have a starting point for comparision.

I think this is all explained by the bug I reported against accept- process-output. If we turn the timeout down to zero, everything goes lightning fast on the Mac.

--
David Abrahams
BoostPro Computing