Couldn't find exit status of `/bin/ls^M -lnd /'

From: Thomas Porschberg
Subject: Couldn't find exit status of `/bin/ls^M -lnd /'
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 13:16:58 +0100

Hi,

I use
 * openSUSE 11.0
 * gnu-emacs 22.2.1
 * tramp 2.1.14

On most remote hosts tramp works fine (I use ssh as connect method).
However I have a problem work an a specific Linux-host (SUSE LINUX
Enterprise Server 9 (x86_64)), say blueeye.jim.de

I get the following message:

Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on `blueeye.jim.de'
File error: Couldn't find exit status of `/bin/ls
 -lnd /'
tramp-send-command-and-check: Couldn't find exit status of `/bin/ls
 -lnd /'

I can connect to this host with ssh as the same user as tramp is
connecting.
What is going on here ?

Best regards,
Thomas