Re: tramp (2.1.14-pre); PATH variable overridden

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.14-pre); PATH variable overridden
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 19:12:54 +0100

David Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:

> When executing remote commands with `M-!' (shell-command), `M-x compile'
> or `M-x shell', Tramp somehow overrides the PATH variable that is set in
> my init files (in this case, .profile).  I know .profile is getting
> executed, since other variables I set there and *only* there do show up
> in the environment.

That is right. Tramp sets $PATH on its own, overwriting settings from
your init files.

> Even modifying tramp-remote-path seems to have no
> effect on this symptom, although I can't see how setting the PATH from
> the client makes any sense if you have to work with different
> environments on different machines, as I do.

Could you, please, show how you set tramp-remote-path?

And yes, it cannot be set specific for the remote host; this is a
missing feature which I have on my todo list. Maybe we can find together
a suitable solution.