Re: using auth-source for authentication

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: using auth-source for authentication
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 22:22:01 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Ted,

> MA> For ports, Tramps uses numbers only. Do you support it as well?
>
> It's OK to use numbers, but it's much better to use port names.
> Otherwise users end up with many identical entries except for the port
> number, and it's annoying to have to remember the ports for all the
> services you need (see /etc/services :)  We can do one of the following:
>
> - call the protocol "tramp" and have it match any Tramp protocol (this
>   makes sense, since it's extremely rare to have multiple passwords per
>   account on a machine, and auth-source is all about simplicity)

I'm still thinking about it. Is it really necessary, to (mis-)use the
port part of an auth-source entry with the value "tramp" in order to
indicate, that such an entry is intended for all possible Tramp
protocols? I believe it might be sufficient, that the port part of an
entry is optional. If it is missing, it means "intended for all
protocols (Tramp) or ports (other applicants of auth-source)".

What do you think about?