Re: tramp (2.0.57); TRAMP doesn't handle VMS filenames

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.57); TRAMP doesn't handle VMS filenames
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 12:25:24 +0200

"Ingersoll, Nelson" <address@hidden> writes:

>    TRAMP fails to load VMS files and instead throws an error to wit:
>
>    "byte-code: Not a tramp file name: /DISK$CAM:/NINGERSOLL/"
>
>    However, if I issue the command "M-x tramp-unload-tramp" TRAMP will
>    get out of the way and allow the ANGE-FTP file handler to parse and
>    load the file.
>
>    If tramp-debug-buffer is needed let me know.

Could you, please, provide the whole filename you have used? Is it
something like "/ftp.host:/DISK$CAM:/NINGERSOLL/"?

VMS file names are handled on VMS hosts correctly. ange-ftp, when used
natively, discards itself when it handles local file names like
"/DISK$CAM:/NINGERSOLL/". Since it doesn't know about Tramp, it doesn't
discards that, too; therefore Tramp is invoked when the local file name
is handled.

I guess you could discard it with the usual Emacs mean to throw file
name handlers away for the local file name part: Does it help to open
the directory as "/ftp.host:/:DISK$CAM:/NINGERSOLL/"?