Re: wish for tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: wish for tramp
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 17:44:48 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> Michael,

Hi Tom,

> When in a dired and I mark some files and then do a "w"
> (copy-filename-as-kill),  I get the list of names added to the kill ring.
> If I go on then to do a "0-w", I get the list
> including the full path.  But I invariably don't want the
> "ssh:/address@hidden:" as part of the names.  I want just the path as if I
> was on that machine.  Know what I mean?
> The same when I have the cursor on the directory at the top of the dired
> and I hit the "w".  I want just the path without the remote part.
>
> Can this already be done?  Would you consider adding this if it isn't there
> now?

Tramp cannot change it, because dired-copy-filename-as-kill uses
standard filename operations. But you could advice this function:

(defadvice dired-copy-filename-as-kill
  (after tw-advice-dired-copy-filename-as-kill () activate)
  "Use only localname of remote files in kill ring."
  (when (stringp ad-return-value)
    (kill-new
     (mapconcat
      (lambda (x) (or (file-remote-p x 'localname) x))
      (split-string ad-return-value)
      " ")
     'replace)))

This needs Emacs 23, because of the additional parameter of
file-remote-p. If you run Emacs 22 + Tramp 2.1, you must call
tramp-handle-file-remote-p instead.