Re: tramp (2.1.12); Expects remote shell to be in same place?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.12); Expects remote shell to be in same place?
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 18:28:08 +0100

David Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:

Hi David,

>>> Thanks for getting back to me!  That almost works.  My shell prompt on
>>> the remote server, which is supposed to be:
>>>
>>>   address@hidden ~]$
>>>
>>> comes out looking like this:
>>>
>>>   ///f8e83e40392c00bfe1ec5080435518e0
>>>
>>> clearly something is getting scrambled.
>>
>> I wouldn't call it scrambled. Tramp sets its prompt this way, in order
>> to detect it under all circumstances.
>
> Then why do I see a perfectly ordinary prompt when I successfully use
> `M-x shell' from a tramp buffer to a machine that has its /bin/bash in
> the same location as on the local machine (i.e. without attaching the
> advice that you suggested in your previous message)?

I've tried to work on your problem. Surprisingly, I cannot reproduce it
locally (running Tramp 2.1.13-pre).

There has been a serious change since Tramp 2.1.12: All shell commands
are called now via "/bin/sh -c" - maybe this makes the difference.

Could you, please, check whether you still have a problem with recent
Tramp from CVS? Or, alternatively, you check with Tramp 2.1.13, which
shouldn't be so far from now.