Re: tramp (2.1.12); Expects remote shell to be in same place?

From: David Abrahams
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.12); Expects remote shell to be in same place?
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:53:07 -0400

on Fri Mar 21 2008, Michael Albinus <michael.albinus-AT-gmx.de> wrote:

> David Abrahams <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Michael,
>
> Hi David,
>
>> Thanks for getting back to me!  That almost works.  My shell prompt on
>> the remote server, which is supposed to be:
>>
>>   address@hidden ~]$
>>
>> comes out looking like this:
>>
>>   ///f8e83e40392c00bfe1ec5080435518e0
>>
>> clearly something is getting scrambled.
>
> I wouldn't call it scrambled. Tramp sets its prompt this way, in order
> to detect it under all circumstances.

Then why do I see a perfectly ordinary prompt when I successfully use
`M-x shell' from a tramp buffer to a machine that has its /bin/bash in
the same location as on the local machine (i.e. without attaching the
advice that you suggested in your previous message)?

>> Really it should be possible to set this up on a per-server basis,
>> though, n'est-ce pas?
>
> It would be a serious change of Tramp internals. Do you (or other
> people) believe this is mandatory?

Well, since you're asking for my opinion,
it seems to me that *if* this behavior of starting up a remote shell in
response to `M-x shell' from a tramp buffer is actually supported, then
yes, it's mandatory.  At the *very* least, tramp should not prevent me
from getting a shell *somewhere* just because the current buffer happens
to be a tramp buffer on a machine with a different shell location.  The
error has got to be very confusing for the user that isn't aware of this
special tramp feature, and expects a local shell in response to `M-x
shell'.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting