Re: [tramp-devel] Trying to debug remote gdb issue

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: [tramp-devel] Trying to debug remote gdb issue
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 20:45:45 +0200

"Abhijeet More" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,

> I am trying to use remote gdb over tramp and although gdb works fine,
> the source buffer is not displayed. (gud-display-line - does not do
> anything).

I cannot reproduce the problem. Locally, I can use gdb for remote
buffers without problems, and I see the source buffer.

Do you have some special settings one should care? I simple scenario I
could follow?

> I looked into this and it seems to me that the problem is that the
> function 'tramp-handle-file-exists-p' returns nil.
> This calls the macro 'with-file-property' which should set the
> property file-exists-p to t after fetching testing this on the remote
> machine with 'test -e'. But it seems to just go ahead and set this
> value without checking remotely (using tramp-set-file-property).
> I am using edebug to step through the macro - however I don't quite
> understand macros yet.

Hmm. That's kind of caching Tramp uses internally. Hard to debug, I confess.
The idea is that tramp-get-file-property is called first, which shall
return the cached value. Only in case it returns 'undef, the body of
with-file-property is evaluated, and the result is put into the cache via
tramp-set-file-property.