Re: directory content caching problem?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: directory content caching problem?
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:13:40 +0200

"mike kuhlen" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi

Hi,

> For example, if I create a new file in this directory (e.g. $ touch
> ./new_file), then this new file will not be recognized by tramp and I get a
> [No match] if I try and complete the filename using tab. Note that if I type
> in the full filename, the file opens successfully.
>
> Another example: if one of the previously existing files is modified
> externally, then tramp is not aware of this modification and the buffer will
> not change upon reopening the file.
>
> Is it possible that tramp is caching the contents of the directory? If so,
> is there some way to flush the cache, or force it continually update it?

Yes, Tramp uses caches for optimization. Your second problem has been
already solved in Tramp CVS, and this fix will appear latest with
Tramp 2.1.11. Like with local files, editing a buffer related to a
file which has been changed externally raises a warning.

The first problem (directory content has been changed) is similar to
the behaviour of ange-ftp. You could fix it with `revert-buffer'. It
will always get the changed contents of a file or a directory. For a
directory, you can call it in dired with "g".

A repeated update of a file or a directory could be achieved via
`auto-revert-mode'. I've never configured it for remote files,
therefore I don't know the traps one could enter. At least you shall
modify `auto-revert-interval', which is 5" by default.