Re: Tramp completion doesn't work like ange-ftp

From: Matthew Donaldson
Subject: Re: Tramp completion doesn't work like ange-ftp
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 23:02:27 +0930

Hi Michael,

I have set the default tramp method to ftp, but my understanding is that it defers its operations to ange-ftp, but still uses its interface on top of it. Ange-ftp was much simpler than tramp, and didn't offer host name completion etc. I don't really need host name completion. I'm happy to type the host name in the first time. But when doing a completion on an ange-ftp path name (e.g. /address@hidden:/...), emacs would complete that to the full ange-ftp path.

This wouldn't work until you had first loaded a file from address@hidden, so I think ange-ftp was being clever, and completing the path based on what ange-ftp buffers you had open at the moment. This worked nicely for me. Hostname completion doesn't help me much because then I have to put in the full path again and so on. I can't seem to get tramp to blindly complete the ange-ftp path name the way ange-ftp used to do, based on the loaded buffers.

Cheers

                -Matthew

Michael Albinus wrote:
Matthew Donaldson <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Michael,

Hi Matthew,

So say I opened a file on a server using the path
/address@hidden:/public_html/myfile.txt

Now I'm editing some local file and I want to open myfile2.txt in the
remote folder at a later stage.  Under ange-ftp, at the find-file:
prompt I could type in (e.g.) "/user<TAB>" and the  completion would
search through the file paths of all the buffers (taken at face value)
and find /address@hidden:/public_html/ as a folder, and complete it
for me.  This saved a lot of hostname and pathname typing.  I can't
seem to do this with tramp.  Typing "/user<TAB>" gives me no
completions.  Maybe it's being cleverer than I want and trying to
interpret the path?

Some few checks:

- Is there an entry "machine myhost.com login user" in your ~/.netrc?
  I guess yes, because it worked for you before.

- What is your default Tramp method? It shall be "ftp", if you want to
  use ange-ftp. Check "C-h v tramp-default-method".
  Btw, setting tramp-default-method is mentioned in the NEWS of Emacs
  22.1, which you can read via "C-h n".

Cheers

                -Matthew

| Matthew Donaldson             http://www.datadeliverance.com             |
| Data Deliverance Pty. Ltd.    Email: address@hidden         |
| 30 Musgrave Ave.              Phone: +61 8 8265 7976            _        |
| Banksia Park                  Fax:   +61 8 8265 0032     John  / \/      |
| South Australia 5091                                     3:16  \_/\      |