Re: tramp (2.1.9); high cpu utilization on windows

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.1.9); high cpu utilization on windows
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 23:34:09 +0200

"Ye Wenbin" <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

> I put latest tramp in site-lisp directory, and make sure that the
> version of
> the tramp loaded is 2.1.9. Then start emacs with `emacs -Q`, eval
> (require 'tramp) in *scratch* buffer. The cpu utilization of emacs
> become 99%. And use M-x list-process can see a remain process with no
> name as following:
> Proc Status   Buffer Command
> ---- ------   ------ -------
>      run      (none) ls
>
> After compare with old version, I found the problem is introduced from
> (require 'tramp-util). Comment the line 170, and eval
> (require 'tramp), everything is well. And final find the problem is
> come from tramp-exists-file-name-handler in line 131 and 159.
> Eval this will reproduce the situation:
> (progn
>    (tramp-exists-file-name-handler 'start-process "" nil "ls")
>    (tramp-exists-file-name-handler 'call-process "ls"))
>
> Change the order of the two form will be ok. But I think wait until
> the process exit will be better. And this is my patch:

Thanks a lot for your comprehensive investigation! The problem was
reported from time to time, but I couldn't catch it ever.

Fortunately, things are evolving. With Emacs 23, there are new primitive
file operations, especially start-file-process. Therefore all the checks
in tramp-util.el, which caused the trouble, are replaced now by a simple
check for the existence of that function. This shall solve the problem.

The fix will appear with the upcoming Tramp 2.1.10.