Re: tramp listing switches

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: tramp listing switches
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:23:10 +0100

Leo <address@hidden> writes:

> Thank you, Kai. That solved the problem. Seems like a nice feature for
> tramp to have. Don't you think?

Yes, I'm thinking it would be useful to have a function that can be
added to the hook, and also a command to toggle whether the function
is part of the hook, à la toggle-text-mode-auto-fill.

> ------------------
> Here is my current setup:
>
> (add-hook 'dired-before-readin-hook 'sdl:dired-set-remote-listing-switches)
> (defun sdl:dired-set-remote-listing-switches ()
>   (when (file-remote-p default-directory)
>     (setq dired-actual-switches "-al")))

I guess if this is to be distributed with Tramp, it should say
tramp-tramp-file-p instead of file-remote-p.  (Would that work for
you?)

Also, this uses the same switches regardless of the remote host; but
presumably different hosts support different switches.  Hm.  An alist
could be called for.

In German, we call this using cannons to shoot sparrows :-)  In
English, the words are overkill and over-engineered, I guess.

Kai