Re: tramp listing switches

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: tramp listing switches
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 09:57:12 +0100

Leo <address@hidden> writes:

> I try to open a remote file in a freebsd system and 'ls' does not
> support a lot of 'ls' options in GNU systems. But my
> dired-listing-switches is set to '-ahvl'. I am wondering if I can
> change the listing options for just tramp. Thanks.

I'm not aware of built-in functionality for doing this.  I'm sure it's
possible, but I guess it involves diving into the dired code.

The question is whether you can add code to dired-mode-hook that looks
at the variable default-directory and sets dired-listing-switches.

Hm.  M-x apropos-variable RET dired.*hook RET...  Ah, there is
dired-before-readin-hook which is executed earlier.  If you're lucky,
it works to put the code there.

If it works, it may be useful to provide code with Tramp that makes
this more convenient for users, perhaps even with a method to set
different listing switches for different remote hosts or somesuch.

Yet another idea is to install the gnuls port on the remote system.  I
think there is code in Tramp to automatically find gnuls, if
avaiable.  (When looking for the "ls" program, it actually searches
not only "ls" but also "gls" and "gnuls" I think.)

Please let us know your findings.

Kai