Re: async?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: async?
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 15:13:09 +0200

"Alex V. Koval" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi All,

Hi,

> I am curious, are there any possibility to make tramp working
> asynhroniously, or this is impossible
> due to some emacs limitations? Really, I hate to wait so long when
> file is being open, saved,
> and checked before modifications.

Tramp implements basic file operations defined in Emacs. All
operations are defined to return a result (synchronous mode), so Tramp
follows this. It would be a problem for other packages which trust on
the result of the primitive operations.

> It is not noticeable when you work
> on local filesystem,
> but all such delays using tramp are bad feelings (low usability).

If you have large files, you might consider out-of-the-band methods,
like scp. They don't need to encode/decode the files on their way, and
might be faster then. On the other hand, for every copy action a new
(asynchronous) process is spawned. This might be optimised; it is
waiting on the todo list.

For general performance improvements you shall switch to Tramp 2.1. It
implements much more file information caching, reducing the need to
raise commands on the remote host. This does not change
encoding/decoding needs.

Currently, I'm implementing the fish method as proof-of-the-concept.
It is an inline method, avoiding the overhead of setting up additional
processes as for external methods, but does not seem to need
encoding/decoding. Due to lack of time, there is slow progress in
implementation only.