Re: speed up ?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: speed up ?
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 12:08:54 +0200

> "Alex V. Koval" <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

>> I know that emacs & Kate are using different mechanisms. Kate is using
>> KDE KPart fish:// mechanism. This
>> mechanism assumes working via remote Perl process .fishserv.pl. May be
>> it is good idea to implement
>> tramp bindings to the same .fishserv.pl ?
>
> Interesting idea. I'll check.

I've read a little bit the .fishserv.pl implementation & the protocol
definition. IIUC, it is a similar approach as Tramp does: Establish an
ssh (or rsh) connection to the remote host, and perform commands
there. The difference is that Tramp applies the shell commands
directly, whereas FISH starts the .fishserv.pl script, and interprets
the commands to be executed via the protocol.

Most of the delay of Tramp is the initial hand shaking. With Tramp
2.1 optimizations, I don't see a significant difference.

It could make a difference, when there would be a server running on
the remote side permanently where Tramp could bind. But this is not
the case.