Re: Tramp on Windows XP

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Tramp on Windows XP
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 12:55:25 +0200

Please try PuTTY (or the plink tool that comes with it).  There is a
Tramp method "plink", so you only need to add the PuTTY directory to
%PATH% and then C-x C-f /plink:address@hidden:/some/file RET.

I hope.

The problem is that Windows does not have pseudo ttys.  So Emacs does
not use them for subprocesses.  And when ssh sees that a pseudo tty is
not used, then it won't allocate one on the remote end.  And this
causes the remote end to think it is talking to a program, and to omit
printing the shell prompt.  But the shell prompt is very important for
Tramp's operation.

Doing "ssh -t -t" (yes, twice), it is sometimes possible to force ssh
to allocate a pseudo tty on the remote end, but apparently this does
not work reliably on Windows.

Kai