tramp/ange-ftp and dired

From: Ed Green
Subject: tramp/ange-ftp and dired
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 20:39:32 -0500

Hello:
I'm using a newish version of Emacs (21.3.50.1) that I obtained from sourceforge/nqmacs, and this is my first exposure to tramp.
I'm having some trouble with it.  I am using the MS-Windows version on NT.

I had been using ange-ftp previously. Now I access ange-ftp via tramp as advertised.

The problem is when I'm using ange-ftp/tramp (what should I call it now?) with dired.

There are problems both with error messages and with the dired buffer/window not updating properly.

For instance, when I use '+' to create a subdirectory, the system prompts for the new subdirectory name, then the minibuffer fills with an error message and the new directory name comes in as "." (so now there are two directories with single dots). When I press 'g' to refresh the dired window the window is reset and I can see that, yes, the new directory was created.

Problems occur when I try to rename a file, also. I get error messages indicating that the system couldn't cd into the new file - why is it trying to do that?

Thanks for your expertise.  Let me know if you need more information.

Ed Green