Re: Tramp backup stuff

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Tramp backup stuff
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:10:54 +0200

> address@hidden (Björn Lindström) writes:
>
>> Currently I use this thing for Tramp backups:
>>
>> (add-to-list 'backup-directory-alist
>>              (cons tramp-file-name-regexp nil))
>>
>> However, I think backup files lying around everywhere is a
>> nuisance. Ideally, I would like to have the backup directory for files
>> opened with Tramp set to /method:host:.backup. Is that possible?
>> How?
>
> Not so simple. It would require a local setting of
> `backup-directory-alist' in case of Tramp files, maybe in the
> `find-file-hook'.

I see.  While one could add ("\\`/ssh:address@hidden:"
. "/ssh:address@hidden:.backup/") to the list, it would only work
for *some* Tramp files, not for all of them.  Hm.

Maybe this means that backup-directory-alist is not flexible enough.
WDOT?  Should we request enhancement of backup-directory-alist in core
Emacs?

Kai