Re: contrib/base64.el doesn't work

From: Pete Forman
Subject: Re: contrib/base64.el doesn't work
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 10:05:38 +0000

At 2004-03-14 22:11 +1000, Steve Youngs wrote:
* Kai Grossjohann <address@hidden> writes:

  > The whole point is: For how long has base64 functionality been part of
  > XEmacs?  If it's been that way for years, then we just get rid of
  > contrib/base64.el, saying that modern Tramps don't play with ancient
  > XEmacsen.

The earliest mention I can find of base64 encode/decode functions in
the ChangeLogs is November 1998 (version 21.2-b3).  IMO you can safely
dump contrib/base64.el.  Just tell people that they need at least
XEmacs 21.4 to use Tramp.

Just to confirm, I've an old copy of XEmacs 21.1.14 which does not have
base64-* built in.

And on 21.4.10 the descriptions are:

`base64-encode-region' is an interactive built-in function
(base64-encode-region START END &optional NO-LINE-BREAK)

Documentation:
Base64-encode the region between START and END.
Return the length of the encoded text.
Optional third argument NO-LINE-BREAK means do not break long lines
into shorter lines.

`base64-decode-region' is an interactive built-in function
(base64-decode-region START END)

Documentation:
Base64-decode the region between START and END.
Return the length of the decoded text.
If the region can't be decoded, return nil and don't modify the buffer.
Characters out of the base64 alphabet are ignored.

--
Pete Forman                -./\.-  Disclaimer: This post is originated
WesternGeco                  -./\.-   by myself and does not represent