Re: efs + tramp + emacs problem.

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: efs + tramp + emacs problem.
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 18:02:00 +0100

Peter Valdemar Mørch <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes, the terminating ']' (that is "square-bracket-end") did the
> trick. I don't know, maybe MHonArc munged the terminating ']'. But it
> wasn't present in:
> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/2003-12/msg00032.html
> I just trusted the output.

Gnah.  Hm.  I think I didn't write "address@hidden".  So that makes
the munging suspicious.

> About the
> (find-file "/ssh:address@hidden:/etc/passwd")
> syntax in XEmacs:
>
> (Tramp works for me now! That was the important thing. This syntax is
> just easier to remember... A nice-to-have..)
>
> In
> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/2003-12/msg00039.html
> Michael seems to mention: "Solved meanwhile in CVS" and I'm not sure
> what it is that is solved. Do we agree whether (setq
> tramp-unified-filenames t) works in XEmacs? I can't get it to work.
>
> I checked out the CVS version, and with this:
> (require 'efs)
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/work/tramp/tramp/lisp/")
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/work/tramp/tramp/contrib/")
> (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list "~/work/tramp/tramp/info/")
> (setq tramp-unified-filenames t)
> ;; (require 'tramp)
> ;; or
> (load-library "tramp")
> (describe-variable 'tramp-version)
> (find-file "/ssh:address@hidden:/etc/passwd")
>
> describe variable did show the CVS version...
>
> It still tries to "Opening FTP connection to ssh..."

The above looks good.  Hm.  What does C-h v file-name-handler-alist
RET say after you do the above?

Hm.  I'm now testing XEmacs myself.  First of all, it seems that I
have the Tramp XEmacs package installed, which conflicts with the CVS
version of Tramp.  So I removed it and started XEmacs again.  But it's
still not working right: the square brackets format is mentioned in
file-name-handler-alist, instead of the unified format.

Kai