Re: ftp & multi-hop?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: ftp & multi-hop?
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 22:14:56 +0100

Kai Grossjohann <address@hidden> writes:

> Oh, tramp-smb also uses a non-shell for doing this.  I never tried to
> use smbclient, so I have no idea what it is like.  Michael, can you
> say something about where the problems were in using the Tramp code
> for tramp-smb?

smbclient is very similar to ftp (even a comparable command set). It
doesn't speak to an FTP server but to an SMB server like Samba, or the
MS Windows built-in one. There's no way to call remote commands;
smbclient cannot be used as inline method.

tramp-smb invokes smbclient on the local machine. smbclient doesn't
know the concept of smart gateways; it's always a face2face
communication. In case of adding the smb method to multi-hop, this
would need a rewrite.

The smb method could have been implemented inside tramp.el. But I was
interested in a proof of concept for foreign methods, so I've
implemented it outside, learning the interface needs for foreign
methods.