Re: Cannot execute encoding commands

From: Eric Knauel
Subject: Re: Cannot execute encoding commands
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 16:35:51 +0200

Eric Knauel <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> Eric Knauel <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I'm trying to use tramp (version "$Id: tramp.el,v 2.95 2002/04/10
>>> 17:16:25 kaig Exp $") to connect to a FreeBSD 4.6.2 machine using the
>>> "su" (ssh + uuencode) method.
>>
>> I'm sorry to first require something of you, but I hope you'll agree
>> that the request is reasonable.  The version of Tramp you're using is
>> almost one year old.  Do you mind to install the most recent
>> version?  That ought to make it easier to track the bug.  Or maybe
>> the bug has been fixed already :-)
>>
>> http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/tramp
>>
>> Tramp has moved from SourceForge to savannah.
>
> Ah, I only stumbled acrross the acient version at SourceForge. Using
> (setq tramp-default-method "ssh") instead of "su" it works fine!

A bit to early for that statement. ;-) It works fine, when I connect
to a machine as another user (e.g. root), thus I have to provide a
password for SSH. However, if I connect using an account where I don't
need to provide a password (ssh-agent) tramps seems to be confused and
hangs:

,----
| test: 2: unexpected operator
| tramp_exit_status 2
| address@hidden ~]
`----

Connecting as root gives me a prompt that looks like this: "lifeline#
". This SHELL-PROMPT-PATTERN should match both cases, if I'm right:

,----
| (setq tramp-default-method "ssh"
|       shell-prompt-pattern  "\\(#\\|\]\\) $")
`----

As root I get /bin/csh as shell, /bin/tcsh otherwise. Might this be
the problem?

-Eric
--
"Excuse me --- Di Du Du Duuuuh Di Dii --- Huh Weeeheeee" (Albert King)