Re: tramp (2.0.29); erroneous error message: File is a symlink to a none

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.29); erroneous error message: File is a symlink to a nonexistent target
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 20:50:38 +0200

address@hidden writes:

Hi Jochen,

> I have this directory listing in dired:
>
>     /address@hidden:/app/lsidsp02/cronusprod:
>     total 1040
>     [...]
>     drwxrwxr-x   3 cronusprod cronus       512 Sep 11  2002 data
>     [...]
>     lrwxrwxrwx   1 cronusprod cronus        11 Mar 28 11:33 var -> data/idcnae
>     lrwxrwxrwx   1 cronusprod cronus        13 Mar 28 11:31 var- ->
> ./data/idcnae
>     lrwxrwxrwx   1 cronusprod cronus        36 Jul  4  2002 var-- ->
> /app/lsidsp02/cronusprod/data/idcnae
>
> If I try to visit var or var- or var--, I always get this,
> and I did not have this problem when using old ftp-ange:
>
>     dired-find-file: File is a symlink to a nonexistent target

There are 2 problems related with:

If the link on the remote host is targeted to a relative file name,
there is an error in Tramp, indeed. I've just corrected it in the
Tramp CVS.

If the link is targeted to an absolute file name, there is an error in
Ange-FTP. I'll raise a bug report to the Emacs devel mailing list.

So, upgrading to the recent Tramp, you'll be able to access "var-" but
"var--".