Re: tramp (2.0.22); tramp errs: Remote `/bin/sh' didn't come up.

From: martin.guertler
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.22); tramp errs: Remote `/bin/sh' didn't come up.
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 00:46:05 +0100

Hi,
From: Martin Guertler <address@hidden>
Date: 20 Feb 2003 00:46:05 +0100

address@hidden (Kai Gro=DFjohann) writes:

>=20
> The point of "exec env 'PS1=3D$ ' /bin/sh" is to change the prompt
> produced by /bin/sh, not the prompt produced by your login shell.  So
> unless your /bin/sh is a symlink to zsh, it won't help.
>=20

OK, stupid misinterpretation from my side. I only found tramp's
default behaviour didn't work for me on the centrally administered
machines at work. On the local installations the prompt is not '$ '
even after "exec env 'PS1=3D$ ' /bin/sh", it's still (probably again)
something else so I had to modify tramp-shell-prompt-pattern. Can one
unset ENV in the way you set PS1?. I will try, as this should be the
real solution to my problem...

OK, "exec env 'PS1=3D$ ' env 'ENV=3D' %s%s" seems to be a better solution
than the tramp-shell-prompt-pattern kludge. I hope nothing really
depends on the stuff in the file that is now not executed when the
tramp logs in. Seems I want to create a new tramp-method.

thanks for help,

martin