Re: Custom multi-hop methods?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Custom multi-hop methods?
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 22:13:38 +0200

"Dan L. Pierson" <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there any easy way to create a custom multi-hop method?

Yes, that's not so difficult, given a little bit of Lisp knowledge.
But it's not what you want :-)

> For example, I do development and admin work on a number of remote
> machines.  I just installed the version 2.0.24 of Tramp (thanks a
> lot!  It's wonderful!) and spent 10 minutes or so figuring out that
> I needed a pathname like the following to edit a remote file as root
> using sudo:
>
>   /multi:ssh:address@hidden:sudo:address@hidden:/path/to/file
>
> I'd really like to be able to abbreviate the above to:
>
>   /sshr:foo.bar:/path/to/file

Right.  Filename abbreviations is a topic which seems to come up
regularly.  I thought that environment variables are good enough and
therefore I didn't build any of this into Tramp.  For instance, you
can do

(setenv "xx" "/multi:ssh:address@hidden:sudo:address@hidden:")

And then you can type

C-x C-f $xx/path/to/file RET

How does it sound?

I've been persuaded that this is no real solution, so within the next
few decades (heh) you can expect an abbrev mechanism.  But until
then, maybe this is a workable kludge.

kai