Re: Tramp and NT-Emacs with plink

From: Douglas Gray Stephens
Subject: Re: Tramp and NT-Emacs with plink
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:05:51 +0100

Kai,

At 12:01 (GMT+0200) on 13-September-2002, Kai Großjohann wrote:
 > Douglas Gray Stephens <address@hidden> writes:
 >
 > > I see that the buffer
 > >  *tramp/plink gray-linux-scr*
 > > has a single line (with no line feed at the end of the line)
 > > login as:
 >
 > Aha.  That's different from other rsh and ssh implementations, which
 > just log in as some default user.
 >
 > What should the username be, if you don't specify a username in the
 > filename?  (If you are running plink, then you are running Windows,
 > and it's not clear to me that the Windows login name is a good
 > default for logging in on a remote Unix host.  Is it?)

Out of the box, old ange-ftp took the windows user name as the default
(actually there are a few variables:
  ange-ftp-default-user's value is
  nil

  Documentation:
  *User name to use when none is specified in a file name.

  If non-nil but not a string, you are prompted for the name.
  If nil, the value of `ange-ftp-netrc-default-user' is used.
  If that is nil too, then your login name is used.

  Once a connection to a given host has been initiated, the user name
  and password information for that host are cached and re-used by
  ange-ftp.  Use M-x ange-ftp-set-user to change the cached values,
  since setting `ange-ftp-default-user' directly does not affect
  the cached information.

May be tramp should have a similar parameter, which again if unset
defaults to the login name.

For some the windows login name is the same as the remote Unix
username.

Cheers,

Douglas.

--