Re: Tramp and NT-Emacs with plink

From: Douglas Gray Stephens
Subject: Re: Tramp and NT-Emacs with plink
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:37:08 +0100

Jonathan,

At 12:02 (GMT-0400) on 12-September-2002, Jonathan Epstein wrote:

 > I am extremely grateful for the efforts that Douglas Stephens and
 > Kai (and others) have put into this.  After months of beating my
 > head against this, I am now finally able to get remote access from
 > my W2K Emacs 20.6.1+Tramp 2.0.17 to several (secured) remote Linux
 > systems, without having to store my password locally in any way.
 > Here's the only TRAMP-specific code in my _emacs :
 >
 > (require 'tramp)
 > (require 'telnet)
 > (setq tramp-password-end-of-line "\r\n")
 > (setq tramp-default-method "plink")
 > (setq tramp-verbose 10)
 > (setq tramp-debug-buffer t)
 > (setq tramp-auto-save-directory "c:/temp")

My emacs file has
  ;; My own lisp code
  (setq load-path (append
                   (list (expand-file-name "~/emacs")
                         (expand-file-name "~/emacs/html-helper-mode")
                         (expand-file-name "~/emacs/elib-1.0")
                         (expand-file-name "~/emacs/pcl-cvs-2.9.9")
                         (expand-file-name "~/emacs/tramp/lisp")
                         )
                   load-path
                   ))

 <snip>

  (setq-default buffer-file-coding-system 'undecided-unix)

 <snip>

  (require 'tramp)
  (setq tramp-verbose 10) ;; Help debugging
  (setq tramp-debug-buffer t) ;; Help debugging
  (setq tramp-auto-save-directory "d:/temp") ;; Faster auto saves
  (setq tramp-password-end-of-line "\r\n")
  (setq tramp-default-method "plink")
  (add-to-list 'tramp-remote-path "/export/home/gray/bin")

and I am successfully talking to Linux and Solaris 2.8 boxes (the
Solaris boxes are now running perl 5.6.0, but I do not think that is
an issue.

I have to set the path to ensure the mimencode binary is found.

I realise that Kai has responded, and so you may already have a
solution.

Douglas.

================================
Douglas GRAY STEPHENS