tpop3d-devel

[tpop3d-discuss]Re: tpop3d+Exim with hashed maildir directories

From: Dom Gallagher
Subject: [tpop3d-discuss]Re: tpop3d+Exim with hashed maildir directories
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:05:25 -0500

At 06:00 AM 5/31/2004, address@hidden wrote:
What we've done here is assign each user their own unique uid, which most
other places do as well.  The hashing scheme we used was as follows:

<some base dir>/<last 2 digits of uid>/<2 digits before the last 2 of the uid,0 padded>/uid<uid>/mail/

This is a little hard to understand, so an example is about the only useful
way of describing the above.

Let's say my uid is 500. Using the above hashing method, my maildir spool would be at '/var/spool/mail/00/05/uid500/mail/'. If my uid was 32768, the maildir would be '.../68/27/uid32768/mail/'. Using some quick math calculations and LPAD in MySQL, this hashing scheme was pretty easy to setup.

That's very cool; it limits the number of hashed directories to 100x100, whilst still scaling (and keeping even distribution) as far up as you need. How many users have you tested this with?

One benefit to using the uid is if someone wants to change their username, they will still be able to retrieve all of their email that was delivered to their old address, without having someone login and move the mail around.

Interesting idea, and a definite advantage. Are the user ID to username/domain mappings kept on the same machine? If not, how do you deal with syncing issues?

D.
--
Dom Gallagher (address@hidden)
Development Engineering

This message is sent in confidence to the addressees.
It may contain privileged, proprietary, or confidential information.