tpop3d-devel

Re: [tpop3d-discuss] segfault on bad password

From: prune
Subject: Re: [tpop3d-discuss] segfault on bad password
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2002 11:04:52 +0200

Chris Lightfoot wrote:
On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 11:06:55AM -0400, Michael Klatsky wrote:
To narrow it down further, it appears that the segfault occurs only when
doing the ldap auth using the filter:

auth-ldap-filter: (uid=$(user))

However, if I (in tpop3d.conf) add the lines:

append-domain: yes

and use the filter:

auth-ldap-filter: (uid=$(local_part))

it will work, although functionally, the above should be the same.
Weird.

Ugh. It turns out to be a horrid medieval Solarisism.

On most systems,

printf("%s\n", NULL);

results in `(null)' or `(nil)' or whatever. On SunOS 5.7,
it gives a SEGV. What happens is that the local_part is
NULL, and so the code in auth_ldap.c which prints the
`authentication failed' message causes a segmentation
fault.... It's no surprise I hadn't found this on another
system....

The fix is to make the reporting of usernames more
consistent, since the code in that case was wrong anyway.

So the problem is solved ?