tlf-devel

Re: Hamlib keying

From: Thomas Beierlein
Subject: Re: Hamlib keying
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 20:28:10 +0100

Hi Chris,

after CQWW is finished now, back to your PR. Thanks for driving it
forward.

 Am Fri, 26 Nov 2021 21:22:11 +0100
schrieb Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de>:

> I finally found the time to finish this. Thanks to Nick Craig-Wood
> (@ncw) for merging his patch with this one!
>
> Pull request: https://github.com/Tlf/tlf/pull/294
>
> Re: Thomas Beierlein
> > > The general feature (calling stop_morse) already works, only the
> > > support in rigctld was missing.
> > >
> > Just made some first tests (TS590S + Hamlib-4.3.1) with mixed
> > results:
> >
> > - Sending CW per keyer window works as expected.
> >
> > - Leaving keyer window (ESC) gives me a messsage about missing
> >   supported for stopping - first time with the default error colors
> >   (white on blue), after that only black on white.
>
> Hmm. Either I didn't understand the way Tlf reports errors correctly,
> or this is generally a problem. Part of the pull request is one commit
> that attempts to print better Hamlib errors.

I will look into the color problem wrt TLF_INFO and friends.

> Generally, only few rigs support stopping morse sending. Mine does, so
> it wasn't a problem for me, but possibly we should catch that on
> startup, print a warning, and then just not do anything at runtime.

Right, I just commented the problem on the PR with teh same suggestion.
Just saw your mail to late :-(.

May be good to add a warning about the stop support in the man page.

> > - The delay after the message maybe a little bit long.
>
> That's the default delay in TLF_LOG_WARN.

Should be no problem, as soon as we change as above.

> > - Sending Fx-messages does not work at all and gives no error or
> >   warning.
>
> That shouldn't make a difference and is probably a followup error from
> the above. Do the Fx keys start by issuing a stop morse command? That
> would explain the trouble.

No, not really. There are also no error messages at all. Maybe it is a
problem with my rig (TS590), so I will dig a little bit deeper myself.

> > > Earlier this evening I used the patch in the MWC contest both in
> > > S&P and running mode, and everything seemed ok.
> >
> > Fine. I think it could need some more tests from different rigs. I
> > can imagine a period of time during which not all rigs will support
> > stopping CW. That should be handled more graceful.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > > I guess that means I have to write some documentation now :)
> > >
> > At least the keyword needs to be documented in the man page.
>
> The feature is documented now.

Looks good.

73, Tom

--