tlf-devel

Re: TLF and Hamlib 4 - things to look for

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Re: TLF and Hamlib 4 - things to look for
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 13:12:25 -0600

* On 2020 16 Dec 10:47 -0600, Thomas Beierlein wrote:
> Yes and no.
>
> For the 'yes' part:
>
> You can point tlf to use the daemon (as Slave wrote) but it is
> activated via the normal hamlib library call (with rig model number
> 2).
>
> That means in these case it goes directly to the hamlib library and talk
> to rig model 2 which results in hamlib library making a TCP connection
> to rigctld (model number 2)  (which talks to the hamlib library, which
> talks to the radio rigctld is configured for). (Sounds like overkill
> and make my head spinning).

Actually, it was kind of an ingenious implementation by Stephane years
back.  Yes, it is fairly complex but it does allow for an application
that already uses the Hamlib API to use rigctld, which at the time was
very new, without being rewritten for TCP sockets.  Also, such apps can
then utilize a rig connected to another computer and with the
proliferation of Raspberry Pis this has worked out well.

> To use rigctld directly TLF has to be changed to use a direct TCP
> connection to rigctld. But that is not how TLF works at the moment.

At some point that might be a useful feature.

73, Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB