tlf-devel

Re: A unified color scheme?

From: Thomas Beierlein
Subject: Re: A unified color scheme?
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 09:38:24 +0200

Am Sat, 23 May 2020 13:01:38 -0500
schrieb Nate Bargmann <address@hidden>:

> > The screenshots are coming through. I guess forst screen shot is
> > from pure Linux console, second one from xterm with your Xresource
> > file and the last from urxvt?
> >
> > The problem with the different shades of white in the last
> > screenshot may be solved by setting a pure TERM=xterm. I had
> > similar problems in the past with the introduction of
> > xterm-256color not handled properly.
>
> I'll attach a shot of URxvt where I started Tlf as:
>
>       TERM=xterm-256color tlf
>
> it is not much different, if at all.

I did some experiments in meantime. Old urxvt (some years ago) had
TERM=rxvt set, which is recognized by TLF. Newer version seems to use
TERM=rxvt-unicode, but that is not recognized.

You can verify by setting TERM back to 'rxvt'.

I will add a fix to the code to recognize both TERM settings.

> What I see of the UI code in Tlf is that rxvt is handled such that it
> tries to play the part of the Linux console.

The actual (simplified) logic is as follows:

* If a TERM setting is not known, we assume a pure linux console and
  respect the TLFCOLOR variables.

* For TERM in 'xterm', 'xterm-256color', 'rxvt' and (shortly in)
  'rxvt-unicode' we use fixed color settings according to the choosen
  TERM value.

> > > Instead, I think that simply unifying Xterm and URxvt and leaving
> > > the console alone is a better idea.
>
> > For the time being I think it may be a good decision.
>
> I did get private feedback from a user that prefers the console so I
> think it should be left well enough alone.

ok, thanks for the feedback.

> As for Xterm and URxvt, I think if Tlf just treats them the same as
> far as colors are concerned and recommend using our Xresources, then
> I think we'll have a good level of consistency.  Actually, I am
> unsure of people choosing URxvt instead of Xterm these days but some
> may.  Plus, this has become a bit of an interesting subproject of
> mine.

I will add an entry to the FAQ recommending these settings.

> The reason I am promoting Xterm is due to it not consuming the key
> combinations that other terminals consume.  Keys like F11 and
> Ctl-PgUp/PgDn come to mind.  Xterm also supports anti-aliasing with
> TrueType fonts these days so it can look quite nice on the modern
> desktop (I'm using Gnome these days).

There is also F1 which is used in some desktop environments for
invoking help. xterm is quite a good choice here.

73, de Tom DL1JBE

--
"Do what is needful!"
Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea