tlf-devel

Re: Real RST possible?

From: jim smith
Subject: Re: Real RST possible?
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 16:47:05 -0600

On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 20:13:04 +0100
Thomas Beierlein <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ok, That would only extend the functionality of CHANGE_RST. If
> changing only the first two numbers are enough that would be the most
> easy solution. If key auto repeat does also work for PgUp/PgDn (needs
> to be tested) you need not to much key presses to sweep over the
> range.
>
> Jim, would that solve your needs? If so it can be implemented in next
> weeks.

I think so.  And in any case, I think defer to "make it easiest for the
'Run' operator.  If the S&P op has to make a few more keypresses to get
things done, that's fine.  Also, that final 9 can alwasy be 9 in RST,
IMO.

> > Probably the reason this hasn't been requested before is that major
> > contest sponsors mostly ignore the signal report for log checking.
>
> And in contest we ignore the 'real' RST value from the band and stay
> with 5nn to make more contacts per time.
>
> 73, de Tom

I agree with that -- in most contests the RS(T) is a given.  But for
QRP and especially SOTA operations (where I would *really* like to use
tlf), it would be most helpful to be able to type in the R and S of RST.

Thanks to all for considering this.  I used tlf in last weekend's
CQ160m contest, and it never missed a beat.  *I* did, but it did not.

73, Jim KK0U