tlf-devel

Re: padding in cwdaemon packets

From: Csahok Zoltan
Subject: Re: padding in cwdaemon packets
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2019 17:51:12 +0100

Hi Drew,

Trailing zero and newline have most likely historical origin.

The zero was introduced abt 9 years ago in this commit:
https://github.com/Tlf/tlf/commit/5a2be34d01b296bc8b8d8b362407cc3077e3c6d8#diff-8be0c8c50997da170641d3392ba81b5a
Apparently cwdaemon needed it. Now it does not for sure, neither any newline.
It actually removes NL:
https://github.com/acerion/cwdaemon/blob/master/src/cwdaemon.c
(line 1140)

winkeydaemon as a defensive measure silently ignores non-processable characters.
Probably cwdaemon (libcw) does the same.

Technically the trailing NL is a result of not chopping it after fgets().
While for CW it is irrelevant, it might make sense for digital modes.
Not sure, though, as digital keyer code could add NL on its own.

So all in all I think we could get rid of both trailing chars without issues.

73,
Zoli