tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] TLF run mode problem

From: Ervin Hegedüs
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] TLF run mode problem
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 22:18:19 +0200

Drew, Thomas, and all,

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 02:26:25PM +0000, Drew Arnett wrote:

I don't have Debian Buster actually, but have a Debian SID - it's
not so far from Buster :), and all related components are same as
your side:

# dpkg -l tlf *hamlib* | grep ^ii
ii  libhamlib++-dev:amd64 3.3-5+b1     amd64        Development C++ library to
control radio transceivers and receivers
ii  libhamlib-dev:amd64   3.3-5+b1     amd64        Development library to
control radio transceivers and receivers
ii  libhamlib-utils       3.3-5+b1     amd64        Utilities to support the
hamlib radio control library
ii  libhamlib2:amd64      3.3-5+b1     amd64        Run-time library to control
radio transceivers and receivers
ii  libhamlib2++c2:amd64  3.3-5+b1     amd64        Run-time C++ library to
control radio transceivers and receivers
ii  libhamlib2-tcl        3.3-5+b1     amd64        Run-time Tcl library to
control radio transceivers and receivers
ii  tlf                   1.3.2-1      amd64        console based ham radio
contest logger

On that machine, I don't have a phisycal connect with RIG, so
I've used `rigctld -m 1`, set up the "virtual" rig on another
terminal ("rigctl -m 2; F 14002000"), and started Tlf with Drew's
config.

> Run mode has problems.  Start auto CQ which works fine.  As soon as I
> start typing in a callsign, the auto CQ stops and the "AUTO_CQ" marker
> in the upper left corner changes to "S&P".

I can't reproduce this issue. When AUTO_CQ sent the CQ, and I
typed a foreign call, it switched to "LOG". I finished the
callsign, pressed TAB, entered the zone, pressed ENTER, then Tlf
sent "TU KB9FKO", and stayed in LOG mode.

I pressed F12, Tlf switched to AUTO_CQ, and started to sent the
CQ again.

> (Is this a clue?)  I type
> in his callsign and hit enter in the callsign box.  TLF sends mycall.
> Wrong behavior.  I'm expecting it to send his call and my exchange.  I
> enter his exchange and hit enter in the exchange box and it sends TU
> and my exchange.  Also wrong behavior.  In both cases, it sends the
> correct thing for S&P, but not the correct thing for run mode.

sorry, I have no idea, what happened.

> Am I doing something wrong?  Do I have something misconfigured?  Is it
> a bug in the SW?  Or if this should work, and it was a mistake in
> debian packaging deltas, should I file a debian bug?

I don't know how many user uses Tlf from the Debian repository.
There is a popularity contest, but the number of users is under
100:

https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=tlf

but I think this issue would occured with these users.

> My setup...
>
> OS:  debian buster live 10.0.0 xfce

could you show me these outputs?

apt-cache show tlf
apt-cache showpkg tlf

Could you try it with another setup, eg CQWW (as Thomas proposed
too).

Just my 2cents: there was a similar issue at my side few years
ago, when I switched from SATA disk to SSD. I've worked on some
sprint contest (DARC Oestercontest...?), and the two modes
switched "too fastly", and sometimes it switched twice, so I got
back the original mode.

As you wrote, you're using Debian Buster Live - em I right that
this uses RAMDISK? Which is faster than an SSD...?

Do you have any permanent installed Debian? It should be in any
virtual system (VirtualBox, VMWare, ...). If yes, could you try
there?

Thanks,

Ervin
HA2OS