Re: [Tinycc-devel] Fwd: TCC VLA bug?

From: Kyryl Melekhin
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Fwd: TCC VLA bug?
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2021 14:41:37 +0000

Hello Michael Matz,

On a side note about tcc and VLA, I have reported a valgrind bug
on their mailing list. But there might be a chance that it is
actually tcc bug, though I could not find any incorrect behavior
in my programs compiled by tcc.

I think it's quite normal for valgrind to complain about VLAs
generated by tcc on x86_64?

Here's the archived emails:
https://sourceforge.net/p/valgrind/mailman/message/37382347/
https://sourceforge.net/p/valgrind/mailman/message/37382384/
https://sourceforge.net/p/valgrind/mailman/message/37382663/
https://sourceforge.net/p/valgrind/mailman/message/37382912/

John did not update on the results of further investigation
and I suppose he did hit a hard wall.

What's your opinion on the matter? I am not awfully familiar
with tcc's VLA implementation itself, but it does something
that triggers valgrind to think there are uninitialized values
when it's not actually possible.

Kind Regards,
Kyryl.