Re: [Tinycc-devel] CFront for TinyCC?

From: Christian Jullien
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] CFront for TinyCC?
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 19:01:05 +0100

The main problem is that you're not supposed to use it but just study it.
You can for example write few lines of pre-iso C++ and see how an
implementation (the CFront) translates it to pure C.
It may be useful to see a possible implementation of vtbl and virtual
function calls for example. The ARM from Stroustrup is a very valuable
source to understand possible internal representation of C++ in C.

Don't expect to write real C++ code which, except for simple example, will
not run on any other implementations.

If you write anything with CFront, you'll have to rewrite your code for any
modern C++ compiler.

We don't have the permission to extend Cfront, for the best, we are just
allowed to make few patches to let it work on the target C compiler. No
more!!

We are not allowed to fix bugs or implement missing things from any of the
C++ standards.

So, Cfront interest is very limited.