Re: [Tinycc-devel] 114_bound_signal error when tcc is compiled by tcc on

From: grischka
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] 114_bound_signal error when tcc is compiled by tcc on macOS M1, new -arch behavior
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 17:39:32 +0200

Christian Jullien wrote:
Hi folks,

Hi Christian,

gcc: error: this compiler does not support arm64                      <= Sad

Grischka, can you please reconsider this choice as it seems dangerous to
me to ignore argument? Please note that my error message was the same as
gcc.

I did make considerations of course and I think the conclusion was
that this is category "fragmentary feature".  The error message
may be the same as with gcc but all the rest required to make it
a feature useful for other people is absent.

There was some aspect of "unnecessarily different" too. tcc -hh
already has a list the ignored options, there was no need to add
an extra line explaining that -arch is ignored now too.

It may be arguable how user-friendly or "dangerous" tcc is with
how it ignores some options, however I do not see the argument
to handle specifically this one differently. Rsp. arguments always
exist of course but do they justify the extra effort, that is
the consideration to be made.

--- grischka

C.