Re: [Tinycc-devel] Problem after compiling tiny CC

From: Clive Tovero
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Problem after compiling tiny CC
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 16:22:32 -0400

On Sat, 26 Jun 2021 01:52:36 -0700 (PDT) Elijah Stone via Tinycc-devel wrote: > Perhaps 'tcc -ar' should add libtcc.a automatically (unless you tell it not to)? That way it would be possible to compile a static library with tcc and link a gcc app to it.

Whether opt-in or opt-out, it would be nice to have this in tcc. I guess the downside is more complexity in tcc.

I built Femtolisp as a non-trivial mixed test (gcc/tcc):

https://github.com/JeffBezanson/femtolisp

I specified tcc as the compiler for its separate static, low-leve library in "../llt/Makefile" and kept gcc in "./Makefile" for the rest.  I was able to compile and successfully run the test suite with this mixed situation, using "ar -M" and a small MRI script to archive the low-level library with tcc.  Libtool might have been another (better?) option to generate the static library.