Re: [Tinycc-devel] Clarification about log message in commit 48df89e10e

From: Michael Matz
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Clarification about log message in commit 48df89e10e
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 17:06:02 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

On Sun, 11 Apr 2021, Stefanos wrote:

I hope you are doing well.

The following line in commit 48df89e10e confused me a bit: "don't use c99 in tcc (array designators etc.)"

Which C version is being used in TCC's implementation, can you please clarify?

If you restrict yourself to c89 that would match the requirement. The actual requirement is rather: "needs to be compilable with an old msvc". I don't know which exact version of msvc that is, but it's one that doesn't support designated initializers and some other c99 stuff. grischka uses such msvc.

P.S.: Is there a particular reason for not using `void` inside `main` and you prefer `int main()` instead, in various tests that don't take user input as argument(s)?

No particular reason most probably (except in the case when specifically the standard mandated behaviour of 'int main()' is tested). If you prefer the void form for new tests use it. (please don't change existing tests except for good reasons)

Ciao,
Michael.