Re: [Tinycc-devel] issues/questions with stddef.h which comes with tcc

From: Ivo van Poorten
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] issues/questions with stddef.h which comes with tcc
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 18:53:58 +0100

On Mon, 4 Jan 2021 09:12:20 -0800 Joshua Scholar
<joshuascholar@gmail.com> wrote:
> And I want to mention that there's a license problem for people who
> want to embed Tiny C in a product if they have to use GCC headers,
> since GCC is full GPL.

I have the impression that you do not know the difference between
compiler headers and libc headers.

You don't need GCC compiler headers for tcc.

If you use glibc and its headers, all is fine. Both tcc and glibc are
licensed under the LGPL.

> It would be nice to supply people with a solution to that real
> problem.

You can also use other libc implementations, like bionic or musl. If
that doesn't work at first, that means there are bugs to be fixed.
Either in the library, or in tcc.

This separation of concerns is not obsolete. It's in the latest C17
standard.

Regards,
Ivo

P.S. an extreme example: it is not guaranteed by the C standard that you
can link object files compiled by different compilers, say clang, gcc,
icc and tcc. That's because the implementation dependent stuff can
differ between compilers, and then all hope is lost.

Compiler headers define those differences. libc headers define the rest.