Re: [Tinycc-devel] Almost added a feature, but I broke things

From: Joshua Scholar
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Almost added a feature, but I broke things
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 08:33:53 -0800

It took me a while to understand your post, I've been up all night debugging.  And I've isolated my bug...

Anyway, I see what you did, and it's cool, but it doesn't match my use-case which is for built in compiler, they call them "jits" these days, although what I want isn't technically a jit.
I mean more of a system where you can keep adding code even as the old code is still running, the sort of thing that used to be more popular with languages like Lisp, or Smalltalk or Forth.  That's not called a jits generally let programs be interpreted for a while and then compile code while it's running.  These old languages compiled code as soon as it was entered, it's just that you could add code without deleting the data that was already there, and in the case of the more interactive systems, you could even have some of the code already running while you're adding to it.  And there wasn't an inherent distinction between the development environment or even the windowing system and the user's code.  I once saw someone change how selected text is rendered in a Smalltalk system by changing the editor's code from within the editor.

That's the sort of system where you don't want all your source code concatenated and compiled at once like you're doing, you want to compile a bunch of tiny routines and have them access each other.

Actually I can see there's a problem with the run time system in that case, because you want routines to share run time code that's already sitting in memory, not link to a new run time system each time.

C isn't designed for that.

I asked about that before and didn't get an answer, probably because what I was imagining is so foreign to how C works.

C isn't designed to link to a run time system once, and then slowly add more routines to a live system, reusing the symbol table for the existing run time and the already compiled routines.

I guess I'm going to have to replace the runtime code with stubs that share.

But I can see a use for some of what you're doing, concatenating header files and doing any preprocessing on them only once.  A kind of not very sophisticated precompiled header.

Josh Scholar

On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 7:39 AM Kyryl Melekhin <k.melekhin@gmail.com> wrote:
>I figured a lot of people would like, that >libtcc can hold a virtual read-only file >system, so that you don't actually need to >have an include, lib and libtcc directory for >a project to use libtcc.

Is that so? I can kind of see where you are coming from, but this is not the right way to solve it. It creates unnecessary dependency bloat, and even a lot more headache for anybody willing to take time and read though that. If you want I can send you my custom amalgamated version of TCC which is literally 1 c file, does not depend on tcclib, because it has it in it's source already, all the assembly routines for stuff like alloca, are written in extended asm syntax and they work. There is no need to run make to compile, just gcc tinycc.c and some platform flags is enough. You also don't need to worry about header files, because you can always make your own, just write extern printf(...) bla bla and it will work. That's basically how I use tcc, it's so much easier to work with and maintain especially now that i have wrote a special version of tcc which can correctly amalgamate any C source code just like compiler sees it, no assumptions because tcc implements complete preprocessor spec.