Re: [Tinycc-devel] It seem I pull code in wrong way. How can I revert it

From: Alexander Strasser
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] It seem I pull code in wrong way. How can I revert it?
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 21:45:25 +0200

Hi!

On 2020-09-12 21:50 +0800, Pursuer wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your rearranging and advice.

IMHO your first message in this thread was a bit short. E.g.
some people (like me initially) thought, you only might have
a local problem.

> by the way I'm sure I only add tcc.h to the commit "misplaced parenthese
> around...", So I'm also confused about the side-effect mentioned
> by Christian Jullien. (In fact I had cloned a new copy before
> rearranging, In which the additions made by Kyryl on 22_floating_point.c
> was not removed.)

No idea, what went wrong an why.

Though Git is often not very intuitive, it usually provides all the
tools to let you check what would happen.

Some things that might prevent mistakes like that in future.

Before pushing:

    git push --dry-run
    # Sharply look at the output, what branches, tags would be pushed?
    #
    # Assuming you want to only push one branch, make sure it's only
    # the one branch that will be pushed to the correct remote repo.
    #
    # Copy the commit range displayed for that branch.

    git log --reverse --oneline COMMIT_RANGE_FROM_DRY_RUN
    # commits (oldest to youngest) that will be pushed

    git diff --stat --patch COMMIT_RANGE_FROM_DRY_RUN
    # check the stats and have a quick look over the changed lines

If something comes up above: Investigate, fix and start over.

Once everything looks fine: Push.

Best regards,
  Alexander