Re: [Tinycc-devel] Thumb2 codegen ready for review

From: grischka
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Thumb2 codegen ready for review
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 14:03:02 +0200

Erlend Sveen wrote:
* 117_cleanup_nofloat.c : INCR_GI7 is really slow and probably wouldn't
  find bugs that INCR_GI3 for example would not.
I don't understand what you mean here. Note that I just copied the integer
parts of test 101
here, and could not get this test to work anyways since it generates a 7MB file
before running
into some limits with branching, and my microcontroller does not have enough
memory to run
it either. This is actually the only test that totally fails (see spreadsheet I
wrote about).

Ok, so I note that it's not only really slow but also really big, and
that this mis-feature already does exist in our repository.

Anyway, I don't think we really want stripped down copies of already
existing tests.  The original tests may work at some point or they can
be excluded for that platform or the original version might be adjusted
if it doesn't defeat its purpose.

print_double is not meant to be accurate at all. All that matters is that
GCC and TCC produces the same number.

That was the point.  They don't. (not with a i386-mingw-gcc).

You might want to add some notes somewhere though, about how people can
build this and how and where they can use it at all. ;)
Absolutely, but where? tcc-doc.texi? The most important thing to document is
probably the
limitations (that I hope to solve). But for what I use it for, it kinda "just
works" when used as
a regular cross compiler 🙂 . Actually running TCC itself on the MCU is much
more complicated
of course, which is why I made that extra repo.

Ok, I looked at your scripts at
  https://git.erlendjs.no/erlends-os/usr/compiler/tree/master/tinycc
which of course have all the information I could think of.

Well, so at this point I'd maybe suggest just to put the web-link to
this into the comment header of your arm-thumb generator.

I think the decision you need to make is when you want to switch from
your clone to the tinycc main repository as THE PLACE where you make
your work on the tinycc core visible to the public audience.  Sooner
or later, both has advantages and disadvantages.

--- grischka

Regards,
Erlend S.