Re: [Tinycc-devel] Add support of musl-libc to tinycc

From: u-jps5
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Add support of musl-libc to tinycc
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 22:22:18 +0200

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 08:17:34PM +0200, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
> >> NetBSD libc has hard requirement on __builtin_va_list (or some
> >> equivalent builtin). Without it, we cannot use TCC on NetBSD.
> >
> > Would you elaborate in which way the requirement is "hard"?
>
> We require C and C++ compilers that ship with popular extensions on par
> with GCC.
>
> Old va_list has been retired with the following commit:
>
> https://github.com/NetBSD/src/commit/9735e84a7821b8a9cc42139d798ee188c4dd9368
>
> This restricts NetBSD to GCC, Clang, PCC and perhaps ICC.

> We set minimum reasonable set of features mandatory in the toolchain.

I would say you make it harder to build with other toolchains but
unsupported is still not impossible.

OTOH there is probably little motivation to insist on a "native" tcc
toolchain on NetBSD, because Linux binaries buildable under NetBSD with
tcc (and among others musl) are nicely runnable on NetBSD and have the
addditional advantage not to be bound to a certain version of the kernel.

This of course is not valid if someone wants to build _NetBSD_ with tcc.

> Certain things cannot be reliably done in a portable way in libc, like
> alloca(3).

A good point. Some things should not be the business of libc.

IMHO stdarg.h is the compiler business, not a libc concern,
but the policy you present is yours, not mine. Ok.

Thanks for the answer Kamil!

Regards,
Rune