Re: [Tinycc-devel] tiny bit of lint

From: grischka
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] tiny bit of lint
Date: Tue, 09 May 2017 19:33:28 +0200

Larry Doolittle wrote:
grischka -

On Tue, May 09, 2017 at 05:44:28PM +0200, grischka wrote:
If people are going to use clang more likely, can't you add something
to configure for clang to turn off some silly warnings?
That would be USEFUL, for example ;)

The clang flag to turn off this warning is -Wno-string-plus-int

That brings up another issue, which is that tinycc's cute little
configure script that figures out which warning (or lack of warning)
flags are compatible with $CC doesn't work with clang.

Yes, the configure warning magic doesn't work with clang.  And
hence my question was:

        Can you fix this?

Means: recognize if $CC is clang and implement some method to
disable its warnings in configure.  Can you do this?

That could be useful in future for similar problems.

Otherwise I see no point in fixing people or fixing peoples' style,
in a multi-author project.

There is a property of original authorship on each line that you did
not write and that property should be respected.  This includes
diverging personal style and maybe even technical flaws.

--- grischka

I have no opinion on whether adding the nice plural to two tinycc
messages is worth the extra space and time.  I don't think that
((i > 1) ? "s" : "") is a good choice.  Any of "s" + (i<2),
&"s"[i<2], and just a universal plural "symbols" (like it was
before 2d3b9559 from Feb 2017) is fine with me.

This is a lot of discussion for two lines of code.  I guess that's
mostly my fault, too.

  - Larry