Re: [Tinycc-devel] Add support of musl-libc to tinycc

From: Michael Matz
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Add support of musl-libc to tinycc
Date: Sun, 7 May 2017 04:54:38 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017, Marc Vertes wrote:

I just committed the patch to support musl-libc in the tcc compiler development branch: http://repo.or.cz/w/tinycc.git

I tested the patch on alpine-linux x86_64. Beside disabled bound checking, everything works so far, except the dlltest target test, meaning that tcc can not yet bootstrap itself using shared library.

I think that tcc is a perfect match for musl and simple small and fast platforms like alpine-linux.

Dear tinycc developers, let me know if this feature can be added to the upcoming 0.9.27 version, and also how to fix the DLL bootstrap problem.

Fixed in mob. The problem is the stricter dynamic loader of musl, which ignores all STB_LOCAL symbols for symbol resolution (and hence can't resolve relocs against those). Local symbols can always be resolved statically, but TCC didn't do that (easier to code), and it was harmless on e.g. glibc loader. But it always was suboptimal, so this was a good opportunity to extend this in TCC.

With that the tests also run on musl. Take note that the default diff on alpine linux (the busybox one) doesn't support the -I option which is used in the preprocessor testsuite of TCC, so for completely clean results you need a different diff in $PATH.

Ciao,
Michael.