Re: [Tinycc-devel] Huge swings in cache performance

From: David Mertens
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Huge swings in cache performance
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 12:34:19 -0500

Bah, it looks like the situation is not as simple as I had hoped. Here is the code I wrote to try (unsuccessfully) to emulate the problem: https://gist.github.com/run4flat/fcbb6480275b1b9dcaa7a8d3a8084638

This executable uses libtcc to jit-compile a chunk of C code with varying length, then call the generated function a variable number of cycles. The only way to go off the icache cliff is to produce a function with over 3000 increment/decrement operations. Going from 2000 to 3000 causes the icache miss rate to increase by a factor of 100. However, there is no measurable performance degradation: the computational time increases as O(N).

This is good, I suppose. It means that any performance gains to be had are on my end, not on tcc. For my original problem, I suspect that there are icache conflicts between Perl's object code and the jit-compiled stuff, or (as Edmund suggests) false cache invalidations due to adjacent data updates.

David