[Tinycc-devel] OT? old discussion, support for OOP in C

From: u-tcc-uepj
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] OT? old discussion, support for OOP in C
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 10:05:03 +0200

Another example of an OOP tool with an unfortunate license,
though not as hopeless as cfront:

http://www.cs.rit.edu/~ats/books/ooc.pdf

describes a certain way to do object-oriented programming with C.

I did not try to use this method and the tool, wonder if somebody here did.

The bad surprise is the license:
----
While you may give away this package and/or software derived with
it, you should not charge for it, you should not claim that ooc is
your work, and I have published my own book about ooc before you did.

The same restrictions apply to whoever might get this package from you.
----

So one can not freely treat the software one writes using the tool?
(the wording is not "derived _from_ it" but "derived _with_ it").

Even if the conclusion above is a misinterpretation of the author's
intention, "you should not charge" means that the license is non-free,
ironically.

On the other side, this tool or another similar one can be a way
to add some support for OO to tcc.

If one would give up on C++ compatibility but still like C and OOP,
then this particular preprocessor (written in awk) would be probably
much easier to reimplement than e.g. cfront,

Any insights?

Rune